Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Wide World of Audiobooks

In exploring the catalog of ebooks on Librivox, I noticed that there are books of public domain, meaing published prior to 1923. I've read all of the Jane Austen books and maybe I could revisit some Edith Wharton. I guess I mostly read best sellers, so sue me. I could see me suggesting to students who come into the library looking to read a book on their summer AP list that, since we don't have it available, they could download it and read it or better yet have someone read it to them. Lazy slugs that they are.

I checked out podiobooks.com and found a juicy crime book with disclaimers about language and violence. Now this was way more interesting in a perverted kind of way.

With iTunes, the whole process is much easier in that you can go directly into the iTunes store and search for Librivox and voila, there are several audiobooks to choose from in podcast style as in the last lesson. Then I could sync my iPod and away I'd go.

In listening to the very informative way to use NetLibrary, I gathered that my iPod wouldn't work and I am so glad that I will be getting an MP3 player soon!!!!

1 comment:

  1. The iTunes trick fill only work if the RSS feed for the book is listed in iTunes. Not all of them are, for various reasons.

    If find it easier to search the site, copy the RSS feed for the book, and then add it to iTunes. I like iTunes as a podcatcher, but the iTunes Music Store just isn't very good as a discover device. It's as good as any out there, don't get me wrong. It's just that they are all terrible at discover. Very good if you know what you are looking for, but what if you don't?

    ReplyDelete